Saturday, February 11, 2012

Australian Difference #4

Everything is incredibly expensive. Like, ridiculously.

At first, I thought maybe it was just the exchange rate, that the numbers were just high for what they were but it would make sense when converted to American dollars. Nope. If I take out 100 Aussie dollars, I'm charged 109 American dollars. It doesn't help.

I could probably count the days where I've actually eaten lunch. On days when I'm out and about in Fremantle, or downtown Perth, I just can't justify spending the money that is being asked for a $16 sandwich or equally for some lettuce leaves.
A small coffee is on average about $4.50 and it's not even a Venti at Starbucks.
A bottle of water is $4 - always carry my own, refilled from the tap.
The average beer is 8 bucks, often 10 - forget about buying rounds.
The cheapest bottle of wine - of a decent quality - is going to be at least $15.
Forget about imported alcohol.
A personal thin crust pizza without toppings doesn't go for any less than $20.
A bowl of mixed olives at a restaurant to start is $7.
Flip flops are $40.
I don't dare to look how much it is for a haircut, let alone highlights.
I saw a book today I wanted to buy, 20% off.....off of $59.99
Cheese. Oh man the cheese. A wedge of Parmigiano Reggiano - the real kind - is no less than $13. Any block of quality cheese is at least 8 bucks.
A loaf of bread is $6 - unless you buy the reduced to clear which is a bit crusty, but it's only $2.50.
I go to the store most days to pay for my rent via cooking dinner and spend on average $30 with very little leftovers the next day.

Yes, the majority of my examples and observations are food and drink based, but that's what I like. Sure, I'd love to go into a store and buy some cute summery clothes, wear high heels and not be living out of a the grubby clothes I brought in my backpack with the intention of discarding them after too many worn uses. But these are not luxuries to be afforded right now.

Maybe these are not good examples. But, believe me. Australia is ridiculously expensive. And it's not just because they are charging that extra penny on the .99. 

No comments: